Building Violations

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the City of McAllen Building Codes and Ordinances, shall first make an application with the Building Permits and Inspections Department and obtain the required permits.

The following is work that does not require permits:

  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets.
  • Counter tops or similar finish work
  • Cosmetics

Work that requires a State License Contractor

  • Electrical Contractor
  • A/C (mechanical) Contractor
  • Plumbing Contractor

If the Building Inspector finds work in progress without the required permit a Stop Work Order will be issued and this can result in having to pay double fees for the permit for work done without a permit.

What to do next

Contact the Building Permits and Inspections Department within two (2) business days to discuss the Stop Work Order and what documents will be required to submit for a building permit. If no response is received within two (2) business days, the Building Permits and Inspections Department may issue a citation to the owner of the property involved, the owner’s agent or the person doing the work.

To report any work being done without the required permits or licenses, call 956-681-3111 or use the McAllen 311 app