FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

  1. What is a Subdivision plat?
    • A subdivision "plat" or commonly referred to as just "plat" is a recorded map outlining sections of land that have been subdivided into lots showing the locations and boundaries of individual parcels with streets, alleys, and dedications, easements or rights of use over the land. A plat also defines other restrictions to the property such as setbacks used during the design of a structure.
    • A copy of a plat for a particular subdivision can be obtained through the City of McAllen Engineering department or by visiting the Hidalgo County Clerk's office located in Edinburg, Texas.

  2. Do I need a permit to build my fence?
    • No.The City of McAllen does not require a home owner to obtain a right-of-way (ROW) permit to built a fence. It is up to the home owner, subdivision plat or the home owners association to designate the proper height, material or dimensions for the fence. The fence must not encroach the ROW, and must be placed or inside the property line. Properties located at major intersection shall keep corner clips in mind when placing a fence.

  3. What is a flood map and how do I obtain one?
    • A flood map, or a FIRM (Flood Insurance Rate Map) is an official map of a particular community, within the United States, that delineates special flood hazard areas, risk premium zones and floodplains. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) outlines the zones in these maps as an indication of the risk to a specific property for insurance purposes.These zones are also described on the map to have estimated flood level depths as well as base flood elevations used during the building of a new structure in a particular zone.
    • A copy of a flood map can be obtained on-line at the following link, or through the Engineering Department office.You can also view your flood zone through the City of McAllen GIS Maps.

  4. What does ADA mean and why do I have to comply with the regulations?
    • ADA (American Disabilities Act of 1990) under the U.S. Department of Justice has set requirements at the federal and state level that require any new construction or alterations to existing infrastructure, meet the requirements of accessibility. Accessibility includes public accommodations to private and public facilities for people in wheelchairs, walkers, or other assisted technology devices. It is the goal of the City of McAllen to comply with federal and state regulations to provide accommodations to people with disabilities.

  5. What is a GIS Map and what is it used for?
    • Geographical information system (GIS) software combines, manages and analyzes stored geographical data and presents it on a map. A GIS map help us measure, search, and model various processes through "layers" or . Please visit the following link to view all City of McAllen GIS maps.

  6. How can I obtain public information and what are the fees?
    • The Texas Public Information Act gives you the right to access governmental records. All information is presumed to be available to the public, with certain exceptions. Please visit the following link outlining Public Information Requests (PIR).